For several years high school youth attending the Rainbow Ball Weekend have been able to participate in a juried talent competition. This year we are expanding to include a juried art contest from youth that explores gender identity and sexual orientation. Our excellent judges, Linda Eastman, Bernie Vinzani, and Libra Gately are artists who have been involved with and supported previous Rainbow Ball Weekends.
The winning pieces will be included in a professional photography exhibit by Linda Eastman at the University of Maine at Machias. The exhibition is supporting the 8th Annual Rainbow Ball Weekend, April 10-12, 2015. The Gallery Opening/Reception is Friday evening April 10th and it is hoped the winners will be able to attend. Food, housing, and transportation support provided.
Submissions are now being accepted on a ‘closed’ facebook page (not available for viewing by the public). The last day to submit is Friday February 27th with winners being announced on Monday March 16th. First, second, third, and honorable mention winners will be contacted about preparing their work to be ready to hang and the address where they need to mail their artwork by March 30th to give time for the Gallery installation in advance of the Rainbow Ball Weekend.
Please read and understand thoroughly the contest procedures below in order to apply and participate in this art competition:
1. Entries must follow the competition theme of being a member or having friends/family members in the LGBTQA community and how this may be a reason for “Growing Up Differently”.
2. Artists 13-18 years of age attending a Maine High School may apply.
3. There is a three-image limit that an artist can submit.
4. The image files of the original artwork must be in JPG format.
5. The image file name needs to include school abbreviation, student last name, and if more than one entry a number to indicate this.
For example: MMHS_Doe_1.jpg
6. Files may not exceed 1MG.
7. Entries may be two- or three- dimensional artwork created in any medium such as painting, drawing, digital, collage, photography, sculpture, textile, an artist’s book, etc. The work can be expressed from realism to abstraction. Video is excluded at this time.
8. Experimental and mixed techniques are welcome.
9. 2D pieces are limited to 24”x 36” and under. 3D should not exceed 36″.
10. A faculty member or club advisor verifies the authenticity of the work and must upload the image entries to the closed facebook page they must ask to join: “Growing Up Differently – Art Contest for LGBTQA HS Youth”
11. The following information is required with the image submission by the school representative: a) their own professional contact information for notification, b) the preferred name of the student, c) name of the school, d) grade in school, e) actual dimensions of the entry which winners will have to mail, f) title if there is one and g) a brief statement by the student of how their art expresses “Growing Up Differently”.
12. Winners are responsible for mailing their entries the week after notification to prepare for installation. Winners are also expected to attend the Gallery Reception at UMM on April 10th. The 100% Society will provide support for attending the weekend of events.
If you have questions or to possibly schedule a school visit regarding the competition theme or rules, please contact Linda Eastman at: email@example.com
Please share this info with any applicable high school students!
Creative Commons Licensed Image by Matt DeTurck